Draft Thesis
I AM Alive - Thesis Draft
When people are asked about Genetically engineering living beings most of them imagined a creature similar to Frankenstein and an ill intended scientist. In reality Synthetic Biology aims to create, design, and redesign biological systems to improve human welfare. For my thesis I’m working with a Scoby, a culinary symbiotic fermentation culture (starter) consisting of lactic acid bacteria, acetic acid bacteria, and yeast. This Scoby has been genetically modified and kindly donated by the MIT Biotech lab. This scoby will grow a pellicle that I hope to present as an art installation to create a tangible/ interactive experience focusing on the intersection of Education, Science and Art. My goal is to present the “beauty” of science and to bridge the scientific world with people with no scientific background.

Draft
1. Initial idea/question you started out with.
The initial idea was working with something Scoby related. Last Spring I started experimenting with ways of making my Scoby conductive. I tried several methods from growing the scoby with conductive fiber, using conductive paint, and adding metal to the growth of the scoby. Throughout the summer I was taking classes at Genspace. The subjects went from Painting with Yeast to BioHacking Bootcamp. The more I learned about Biomaterials and the idea of “Hacking” certain natural elements the more I felt like I needed help to continue my research. I’m particularly interested in the potential industrial uses of Biomaterials.
2. How you began your research. Describe your research plan and process so far.
After the first exercise we did in class I was still trying to assess what would be the best direction, soon after I contacted one of the researchers of Synscoby, the GMO Kombucha material. So I went to Boston to pick it up. Thanks to Genspace I was assigned a mentor to help me. Arden is researcher and educator at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory’s DNA. So far we have been able to follow the protocol and we have already co culture the Scoby with Bioluminescent properties.
3. Describe your sources (books, articles, databases, online references, interviews, surveys, exhibits) you've used. - Bibliographic references, links.
I’ve been going to BioArt Exhibitions, SVA had a couple of great exhibitions. I’m partaking in the Biomaterials research group at Genspace and interviewing scientists.
https://lemelson.mit.edu/synscoby-tzu-chieh-tang
http://cutpastegrow.com/
https://materiom.org/recipe/695
https://www.addgene.org/kits/moclo-ytk/
http://class.textile-academy.org/2019/students/betiana.pavon/assignments/week04/#bacteria-dyeing
https://biofabforum.org/t/metals-and-electronics-in-kombucha-leather/452
https://news.mit.edu/2021/living-materials-kombucha-0111
https://news.mit.edu/2014/engineers-design-living-materials
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41563-020-00857-5
https://be.mit.edu/directory/timothy-k-lu
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/07/your-airport-is-a-petri-dish/260228/
https://biohack.me/Visual inspiration
A few specific artists I find interesting
https://www.newinc.org/year-6-members/stefani-bardin
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-25350-8
https://www.chem.columbia.edu/content/virginia-w-cornish
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-07879-3
Omics Technologies and Bio-Engineering
Towards Improving Quality of Life
2018, Pages 63-93
Where you've landed: Thesis Statement (thesis question, target user/venue, goals, rationale)and preliminary thoughts about the form your project will take.
I feel comfortable with the Statement above as the opening.
| Jan 24 Class 1 | Scoby is already growing on a small container. I hope to have a thicker sheet to show to class after the break Checking in post-break How has your thinking about your project changed since December? Do you have any new research, preliminary diagrams, tech specs to share?(if not, that’s okay) What is still unknown? |
| Feb 07 Class 2 | I'll set up a new growth in a larger container to start growing the larger scoby sheet. Sharing Preliminary Prototypes Present your prototype and receive feedback and suggestions from the class. Consider your user test / preview plan in more detail. |
| Feb 21 Class 3 | Preparing for the Feedback Session Which alumni might be good to talk to? What kinds of feedback would be most useful at this point in your process? How to make the most of your time together? |
| Mar 07 Class 4 | Demo Day Practice describing your work-in-progress thesis User-test and solicit feedback from a more general audience of ITP family, friends, and incoming students. |
| Apr 11 Class 6 | Checking your Timeline + Preparing Thesis Archive Are you on schedule for all that needs to get done? Peer – edit Thesis Archive materials. |
| Apr 25 Class 7 | Final Review Present your project to three outside experts, receive feedback ahead of Thesis Week. |