Socially Engaged Art and Digital Practice Project 1

 Construct* a short proposal for a project that integrates physical and digital spaces (Project 1), including concept, execution and practical considerations. Prepare a 10-minute presentation of your idea, using visual aids, recordings, volunteers, etc. as needed. You may use one of your initial ideas here if you want.

Based on the first idea:

I think a great way to enhance engagement is the participatory element. My long term goal is to make collaborative socially engaged Art workshops. I'm particularly interested in places where accessibility might be limited or infrastructure is not as developed.

Making a workshop where people learn about materials and participants are able to create an art piece that will be part of an exhibition. Even though it wouldn't be easy for people to visit the exhibit in person, the session could be livestream or recorded.

One of the reasons I joined this class is to have a better understanding of what it takes to connect the Digital and Physical space for a socially engaged project. This past summer I was one of the recipients of a Green Grant. My idea was to create BioArt workshops as an   opportunity to connect, create, collaborate across NYU schools with people from Art (Tisch) + Science (Tandon, Langone) where we discuss the intersection of Biomaterials, Art Practice and Synthetic Biology. All of these subjects event he workshops are intertwined to what I intent to do for my thesis.

As soon as the semester started  several challenges, the funds were not received. I was not receiving responses from faculty I was hoping to talk.

After chatting with Clarinda I decided to take the situation in my own hands and invite some Tandon students myself and ask them to pass the information about the workshops.
After I had one contact I sent a mass email to the ITP/ IMA list and in 72 hours I had over 75 responses.  

The event went really well and I am planning 3 weeks in advanced.

Key learnings:
budget proposal was small as I didn’t expect a huge turn around.
Space : I initially hope to book the EventSpace next to the Maker’s space unfortunately it seems like only faculty could reserve it
Space 2  The media commons space requires a safety training and comes with a 26 page application form.
Again I could have planned it better but it seems that the there is always a “fine print” under each space I looked into.

Slides :

Popular posts from this blog

Socially Engaged Art and Digital Practice week 9 - Project 2

Socially Engaged Art and Digital Practice : week 5 Materials Presentation

Socially Engaged Art and Digital Practice : week 3