Socially Engaged Art and Digital Practice : #1
Assignment:
Come up with 3 ideas for projects that you think act as socially engaged art projects. Describe each with one paragraph each–visuals encouraged. These are thought experiments, and do not have to be something you can do right now.1 Participatory Engagement
I think a great way to enhance engagement is the participatory element. My long term goal is to make collaborative socially engaged Art workshops. I'm particularly interested in places where accessibility might be limited or infrastructure is not as developed.
Making a workshop where people learn about materials and participants are able to create an art piece that will be part of an exhibition. Even though it wouldn't be easy for people to visit the exhibit in person, the session could be livestream or recorded.
I found this blog and it was very inspiring
Another reference is Alfredo Jaar's project library on Fire. The idea of a building used by a community on an everyday basis.
2 Public Visibility
It's not uncommon to walk down the street and have an NGO advocate ask for a minute to chat. Although words can very powerful, in the era of social media visual is perhaps the biggest way to get traction.
This project would entail partnering up with different organization that have the same goal (women's reproductive rights) and creating different visuals with the data they provide.
The work I envisioned it projected into multiple screens and building (think Midnight moment)
3 Vertical Garden / Green truck
I'm interested in education and accessibility. A subject that goes often unmentioned when we discuss inequality is the lack of access to healthy food in lower income neighborhoods.I was inspired by the little trucks below.
A little truck picks up plastic. It drive by neighborhoods that are usually consider "food deserts" and exchanges the material for fresh produce.
Not sure what would be the artistic part by it but I like the idea







